Monday, February 15, 2010

Comments on McAfee Service

Post your comments on McAfee service here.

After a year and a half of putting up with McAfee's shortcomings, I was finally aggravated enough to tackle a sojourn into McAfee suportland. Options are very limited. First and foremost, McAfee wants you to somehow find the information in their "extensive knowledgebase." Hey, makes sense to me. I, an ordinary computer user, should be able to find the information and fix the problems McAfee's software developers didn't. Having failed at that, I was ready to ask for help. In their zeal to protect their customers from their flesh-and-blood techies, McAfee requires that you first download and run their "Virtual Technician". Only when that fails to solve the problem are you allowed to move up to the next level, "chatting with a technician". Now, their photo depicts a technician whose ancestry appears to be English-speaking wearing a headset, which one would assume he would use to vocally speak to you. Not so. Again, you have to do some downloading in order to have a written "chat session" with Ajith, whom I'm pretty sure doesn't live right down the block. In my case, all the technician was interested in was getting through with the chat session. Being of any useful help wasn't on his agenda. He referred me to more things which I tried after the chat session which also didn't do me any good, and to the community forum, where I could seek advice from other McAfee users, not anyone who worked for McAfee. The only other alternative is to pay to actually speak with a techie. So, after four days of aggravation, I've still got notfullyprotecteddom pop-ups popping up, and I didn't even broach the subject of McAfee as a memory hog.

No comments:

Post a Comment